Monday 26 July 2010

Day 3 - Skirting Board & Heater Destruction

A Monday off work, and after spending the morning closing bank accounts and generally wasting time, it was time to get to work. The job of the day was to take the skirting boards off. I'd never done this before, but seeing as I now own a chisel, it was set to be relatively easy. The idea is to just use the chisel to prise the skirting board away from the wall whilst wearing some dope sneakers:

And then once you get it going, just repeat further down the wall until it starts to come away:

And eventually you get to the end & it comes right off:

The main problem is that in some places big bits of plaster came away, which will no doubt cause a problem for later on next week.

The other problem is when you rip the skin from the palm of your hand but don't even realise:

Anyway, once the skirting boards were off I had plaster all over the floor, combined with dust & dirt from yesterday's carpet antics. So I decided to clean it up a bit, which was a thoroughly disgusting job and required a change of footwear and a mask:

I'd had to go out and buy a dustpan & brush this morning to enable me to do this. I'm glad I did. I filled it several times:

And eventually half-filled a Saino's bag with crap:

I then had a break and a well-deserved shower. Then, in the evening, Mr. Gas from next door came round to take my storage heaters to bits. First up, the giant one in the front room:

Talk about whack technology - it turns out that storage heaters are just packed with bricks. I kid you not:

Next, the smaller and more pointless heater in the hallway:

Outside is now starting to look like some kind of heater graveyard. I still can't get over how many bricks came out. Insanity.

So at the end of day 3, the place is looking much more like a building site than a new property:

But at least now it's really starting to feel like things are moving. I'm happy. Just a shame I have to go back to work tomorrow, 'cause I'm starting to get into this manual labour lark.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to diy land! Your next Xmas presents for the following 10 years will all be power tools!
    Crib looks sweet man....!

    ReplyDelete