Tuesday 27 July 2010

Day 4 - Bye Bye Carpet!

Not much happened today due to me being at work. But the important thing is that there has been progress. This was the view of the front room when I got home from work, with the carpets from the bedrooms and the hallway rolled up and dumped in the middle of the floor:

With these carpets being here, I couldn't actually pull up the front room carpet. And I admit that until this point I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to get rid of the carpets anyway. I had an idea, but I hadn't tried it, and I had no back-up plan. Fortunately though, my plan worked, so no plan b is required.

All I did was advertise my carpets on Freecycle. It's a website where people post up stuff they don't want, and other persons just ask for it. No money changes hands (hence the "free" part of the name). The whole point is to stop stuff that somebody might want from being thrown away. And because all the stuff being given away is free, the onus is on the recipient to collect the item. The beauty of this site is that, if you have some stuff you don't want then there's no need to go to the post office or go out of your way to get rid of it. You just sit in your house & chances are that some fool will come and take it away. So yesterday I advertised that I had some carpet, and today the email floodgates opened and I nearly drowned! I ended up giving the carpets to the first people who got in touch. And this evening they came round with a dodgy old van & took it all away. Very quick and hassle free. Once the dude had loaded the rolled-up carpets from the living room into his van, he then took the living room carpet away too:

Please note that despite the photos suggesting otherwise, the dude was definitely NOT James May. But he did provide me with a good service and took my junk taken away in a very convenient manner.

So now the front room carpet is gone I can look forward to more carpet tack removal tomorrow. Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment