Monday 2 August 2010

The Wooden Floor Arrives!

Another day off work today, and the wooden floor was supposed to show up. But before that I decided that I didn't want to keep the skirting boards that I had carefully removed and left strewn across the floor. So I had to get rid of them. The only problem was how to get them out. I mean, they were way too long / high to get out of the door and through the corridor. For example:

So here's the solution I came up with:

Genius huh? Anyway, once I'd got it outside I laid it carefully down the side of the building in a formation that could be confused for "a nice bit of decking". I might even make a shed out of it at some point in the future.

Well, the wooden floor was supposed to show up at around 10am. But following what can only be described as a major fuck up, it finally showed at around 1pm in an unmarked van.

Of the three dudes involved in unloading, only one of us had the sense & style to wear an Into Another shirt and the ability to carry the stuff in a way that looked comfortable to the observer:

Each of these packs weighs 25kg (55lbs), and there were 15 packs delivered. So for those of you without a calculator handy, that's 375kg (825lbs) of wood in total. or the equivalent of about half an hour in the gym.

The dude in charge of fitting is called Paul. During the course of our three hour wait for the wood we chatted about many things, including which famous people he has fitted floors for. The ones I can remember are Michael Caine, Peter O'Toole, Ulrika Jonsson, Lorraine Kelly & The Saudi Royal Family. But I'm the first person he has fitted a floor for who has a Bane test press.

Due to the three hour delay, not much happened today, as you can see. But there should be a great deal more progress tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment